- Measure the prevalence of COPD and its risk factors in various countries around the world.
- Estimate the burden of COPD in terms of its impact on quality of life, activity limitation, respiratory symptoms, and use of health care services.
- Develop a validated model to project future burden of disease for COPD.
- Compare the impact on COPD prevalence of using various definitions of COPD, including those proposed by the American Thoracic Society (1), The European Respiratory Society (2), and GOLD (3).
- Determine the extent to which variations in risk factors contribute to variations in the prevalence of COPD.
- Describe the distribution of COPD according to age, sex, and smoking history.
- Describe the main clinical symptoms reported by subjects diagnosed with COPD.
- Assess the sensitivity and specificity of selected clinical symptoms for COPD using lung function as the gold standard.
- Characterize the clinical management of COPD in selected broad geographic areas.
Download the BOLD protocol (Adobe PDF document)